CLICK HERE FOR BBQ FIRE SAFETY INFORMATION
Phone: 845-469–2388 ext. 231
Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
ABOUT THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT
The Village of Chester’s Building Department is responsible for the enforcement of the New York State Fire Prevention & Building Codes and the Village of Chester Zoning Code. Our Code Enforcement Officer manages the Building Department. The Code Enforcement Officer assumes the responsibility of Building Inspector, Fire Inspector, FEMA Flood Plan Manager and 911 Address Coordinator. The Code Enforcement Officer is here to assist the residents and property owners in the Village with complying with the zoning codes and regulations of our municipality.
WHEN DO I NEED A BUILDING PERMIT?
New York State and the Village of Chester laws mandate when a permit is required. The following is a guideline. If you are unsure if you need a permit, please call for assistance. This will insure a smooth project and eliminate any delays in construction. We would rather help you during the planning process, then then make you stop working while the proper paper work is filed.
FOR RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES:
- New construction of homes, garages and carports
- Addition and alterations of buildings
- Storage buildings including sheds, garages and pole barns, including prefabricated buildings delivered to site
- Decks and porches
- New Roof or re-roofing
- Extending roofs over decks and porches
- Rebuilding and structural renovations
- Swimming pools above and in-ground, including decks around pools
- Installation of woodstoves, fireplaces and chimneys
- Demolition and removal of buildings
FOR COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES:
- New construction
- Most improvements, alterations, enlargements and repairs
- Signs, including temporary signs
- Change of Occupancy
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE:
- Contractor’s Liability and Worker’s Compensation Insurance with the Village of Chester added as an additional insured
- Electrician’s Orange County License – if applicable
WHEN ARE PERMITS NOT REQUIRED?
- Replacement windows
- Non structural necessary repairs
- Check with our office